Local Trivia quiz answers
And the winner is...
Lifelong Griffin resident, Susie Pugh! You've won a years subscription to Kitchen Drawer and one of our limited-edition mugs.
- Which local town hosts at pollen festival? Hampton hosts an annual Yellow Pollen Street Festival
- What town in our area has twice been chosen as the site of the Southern Living Idea House? Senoia was chosen as a site for the Southern Living Idea House in both 2010 and 2012.
- In what year was the official groundbreaking ceremony for Tanger Factory Outlet in Locust Grove? According to the plaque outside the management office, the official groundbreaking ceremony for Tanger Factory Outlets in Locust Grove was held on June 10, 1994. (Twenty years ago!)
- Achitect Neel Reid was instrumental in designing the Hawkes Library in Griffin. He also designed a large Italian villa in LaGrange. Name the estate and the magnate for whom he designed it. Neel Reid was instrumental in designing Hills & Dales Estate for textile magnate Fuller E. Callaway, Sr.
- What local town is home to an ashram? Molena, Georgia is the site of the Sahaj Marg North American Ashram (spiritual retreat center).
has the smallest population according to 2012 census data: a) Brooks b) Orchard
Hill, or c) Williamson? Orchard Hill. Source: City-Data.com
- Which town is named after the French general who voluntarily raised his own army to aid the colonies during the American Revolutionary War? Fayetteville, Georgia is named for Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de LaFayette. Source: www.fayetteville-ga.gov.
- Which two towns in our area have a Slices restaurant? Griffin & Barnesville
- What is the name of the bookstore in Zebulon? A Novel Experience, the bookstore in Zebulon, hosts not only book clubs but also knitting groups and many other activities.
- Name the farmer from whom General Lewis Lawrence Griffin purchased 800 acres for the purpose of starting a town. (Hint: check the statue in downtown Griffin.) General Lewis Lawrence Griffin purchased land from farmer Bartholomew Still for the purpose of starting a town.
- Born in Barnesville, this “first lady of racing” was the first woman inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame. Who is she? “First Lady of Racing” Louise Smith was born in Barnesville in 1916. She became the first woman inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in 1999.
- What retailer opened a 45,000-square-foot store in south Atlanta dedicated solely to Pinewood Studios? Home Depot opened a 45,000 square-foot store dedicated solely to Pinewood Studios.